BY Daily Dose
Another entry from the Providence Preservation Society Ten Most Endangered Properties list — back for a second year — the 1912 Narragansett Electric Lighting House at 360 Eddy Street.
To the east stands a long, rectangular block (turbine house, built 1925; boiler house, built 1917). These blocks both feature granite trim, tall, round-arch window openings with granite keystones and sills, tripartite windows above, granite stringcourses, and brick corbeling. . .
The first electric company in the city was the Rhode Island Electric Lighting Company (1882), which supplied the electric light for ten arc lamps in Market Square. Two years later, Narragansett Electric Lighting Company was formed by Marsden Perry and other Providence businessmen. The company’s first customer was the owner of a skating rink on Aborn Street. . . The complex was slated for development as the Heritage Harbor Museum, but has been left open to elements without a roof or windows for years as the development is stalled.
Don’t even think ‘luxury condos.’ The window treatments would be a nightmare, and let’s just retire that phrase anyway.
Dynamo House, 360 Eddy Street, Jewelry District, (directions)
Basement a little damp.