Women’s Center of Rhode Island, in conjunction with the Mu Kappa Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. @ JWU are celebrating Awareness Month in style with a teen fashion show on February 5, 2011 and a short story writing contest. For more information and contest rules, visit http://livelovefashionprovidence.blogspot.com.
Please encourage your teens to get involved!
* 1 in 4 adolescents reports verbal, physical, emotional, or sexual abuse each year
* 1 in 5 adolescents reports being a victim of emotional abuse
* 1 in 5 high school girls has been physically or sexually abused by a dating partner
* Dating abuse occurs more frequently among black students (13.9%) than among Hispanic (9.3%) or white (7.0%) students
* 72% of eighth and ninth graders reportedly “date.” By the time they are in high school, 54% of students report dating abuse among their peers
For more information on teen dating abuse and domestic violence services in Providence, visit http://womenscenterri.org.