The Carrie Tower at the corner of Prospect and Waterman Streets has been guiding tourists and new students to the campus for over a century. According to the Encyclopedia Brunoniana the tower
was erected in 1904, a gift of Paul Bajnotti of Turin, Italy, and a memorial to his wife, born Caroline Mathilde Brown, granddaughter of Nicholas Brown 1786, for whom the University is named, and daughter of Nicholas Brown 1811. She died in Palermo in 1892 after sixteen years of marriage to Bajnotti, who also erected a fountain in her memory in Burnside Park in Providence. The tower of red brick is 95 feet high, and is elaborately adorned with stonework. . . There are festoons of fruit near the base, and at the top, above four clock faces on the sides of the tower flanked by eight panels of fruit, are in rising succession, 32 carved urns, eight capitals, four shields, and at the very top, four urns with flame.
The somewhat startling inscription is taken from the Old Testament, the Song of Solomon, 8:6.
An impressive erection to be sure.