The North Burial Ground was founded in 1700 for public use as a military training field and burial ground.
Seen here is the bronze Elks’ Rest sculpture by artist Eli Harvey which has marked the lot of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks since 1905. The original life-sized bronze elk was so well received that the Elks commissioned several copies to be installed around the country.
Maintenance of the cemetery has improved considerably since its inclusion on the Providence Preservation Society’s Most Endangered Properties List in 2000.
Open Memorial Day until 6pm, North Burial Ground, 5 Branch Avenue, (directions)