One way to get some fresh air and start moving again is to head downtown to the Providence Rink. At scheduled times, skaters share the rink with the ice bumper cars; obviously the activities are kept separate. Seen here are the ice bumper cars which take over about 1/3 of the rink during the shared time. (Dedicated bumper fans get the entire rink early on Saturdays and Sundays.) All rides are 15 minutes plus an orientation and are scheduled in 20 minute increments. FAQs include:
- Ice bumper cars seat 1 adult OR 1 child (6 years or older).
- To operate a car alone, you must be at least 6 years old and at least 42” tall.
- Children ages 3-5 years may ride in an adult’s lap (16+ years old), no exceptions.
- Maximum combined weight of all occupants = 300 LBS.
- Children under the age of 3 are not permitted to ride the cars.
Regular winter hours for the rink — weather permitting:
- Open daily for ice skating, 10am to 10pm.
- Shared bumper cars: Monday – Friday, 4pm to 8pm/ Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 2pm.
- Full bumper cars: Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 10am.
New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day: Skating from 10am to 10pm (bumper cars sold out until January 3)
Learn to skate: 30-minute lessons are available — private, semi-private and group. Admission and rentals are not included.
Providence Rink, 2 Kennedy Plaza, (directions)